Arsenal are not going to submit a follow up bid for Alexandre Lacazette, according to Lyon President Jean-Michel Aulas.
Earlier this week, Lyon released a statement revealing Arsenal had submitted a £29.3 million offer for Lacazette. Lyon did not bother responding to the offer as it was well below their valuation of the player, believed to be at £42 million, and are now adamant the player will stay.
“Arsenal have not come back [with an another offer] and they will not come back,” Aulas told L’Equipe.
Aulas’ statement comes on the same day that Arsene Wenger revealed Arsenal are still on the lookout for an attacking player, although prices currently being paid for players are ‘scary’.
“At the moment, I do not have too many attacking options. We have options, but we still look outside to find one more,” said Wenger after Arsenal’s 2-1 win over the MLS-All Stars in San Jose on Thursday. “You look at the checks that everybody signs and it’s quite scary. That’s what the Premier League is about at the moment.”
Although there is still over 30 days left in the transfer window, the start of the season is inching closer and Arsenal fans are growing anxious.
At the moment, the Gunners attacking options for their opening match against Liverpool are Theo Walcott, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Joel Campbell, and Alex Iwobi. Aaron Ramsey, Alexis, Mesut Özil, and Olivier Giroud are all set to miss out as they regain fitness after a prolonged summer due to their Euro 2016 participation. Chris Willock, Jeff Reine-Adelaide, and Chuba Akpom would serve as the backups.
Arsenal’s attacking options are anything but inspiring as of now, and they face similar questions at center back. Per Mertesacker is set to miss half the season, and Laurent Koscielny will miss at least the first, and maybe the second match of the season. Gabriel is recovering from tonsillitis and should be available against Liverpool, leaving the Brazilian, Calum Chambers, and new-boy Rob Holding as Wenger’s options at the back.
This week, the club have been linked with a bid for Shkodran Mustafi, and according to Algeria’s Le Buteur terms have been agreed with Riyad Mahrez. Nothing of real substance has emerged about either player, as of yet, however, both would solve needs.
It’s clear that Wenger recognizes he needs to bring in reinforcements, and it’s obvious he knows at what positions he wishes to improve. What’s concerning is the language being used. Wenger wants to spend, but he seems to be indicating that his options are dwindling and prices are continuing to rise to a point that he is uncomfortable with what he may have to pay.
While prices are out of control this summer (£75.3 million for a 29 year-old striker!?), Wenger might just have to suck it up and spend above value.
For now, we wait and see.