FutnSoccer Liga MX Power Rankings – Week 7
Week 7 of the Liga MX saw teams like Toluca, Xolos, and Leon play like they have all season to remain in the top three positions of the regular standings. Also, Santos and Atlante have made strives to escalate positions both in the standings and the rankings. We are almost half-way through the season and we have only four teams that have to chance of making the playoffs. Nonetheless, Toluca is still undefeated and on top of the FutnSoccer Power Rankings, while Queretaro in still on a free-fall with one out of twenty-one possible points. Please enjoy our week 6 Liga MX FutnSoccer Power Rankings, and don’t forget to leave comments below or on Twitter @FutnSoccer!
1. Toluca- Number 1 in the standings. Still undefeated. Toluca deserves to be Liga MX’s current top team as they have played well week-after-week.
2. Xolos- Tijuana won its 4th home game of the season showing that the border team is a real threat at the Estadio Caliente. Not much talent in this team like other ‘big-name’ teams, but this is undeniably the best coached and unified team in Mexico.
3. Cruz Azul- Played a fair-to-bad eighty minutes against Pachuca but Cruz Azul never let down, until they tied the match with a great goal by Gerardo Torrado in the closing minutes. This team has talent, and is doing enough to be in the top of the standings.
4. Leon- Mexico’s newest first division team keeps on going. With a great defense, and Liga MX’s best offense with 14 goals, Leon is a threat to all teams. Will the momentum stay alive when they face Chivas next game? Probably.
5. Morelia- They lost their unbeaten streak at home against a Pumas squad that hasn’t been playing so well. However, Morelia is still one of the top contenders of the Liga MX, and should be able to stay in the top eight spots in the standings.
6. Santos- Is Santos back to life? Ever since gold medalist Oribe Peralta came back, Santos has played similar to last season when they won the title. This week they beat Tigres 3-1 and the team is improving.
7. Atlante- La Volpe has done an outstanding job leading this team that was not reinforced over the offseason. With its win against Queretaro, Atlante now find themselves in playoff contention.
8. America- Club America has faced the top two Liga MX teams in the past two weeks, and only earned one point. These results have demonstrated that America is not one of the true elite Liga MX teams, and is subsequently dropped in the standings and our Power Rankings.
9. Pumas- Joaquin Del Olmo was let go during the week. This week, with an interim coach, Pumas beat Morelia in a good game. Mario Carrillo, who has more experience than Del Olmo, is now in command, so see Pumas escalate positions quickly.
10. Tigres- Lost against Santos 3-1. Five straight games without winning. Question is, what happened to the Tigres all teams feared and that had the best defense?
11. Monterrey- Like its arch-rivals Tigres, Monterrey is having a below-average season. Good news is, if Humberto Suazo had not missed the ‘Panenka’ penalty kick, Monterrey would have been tied for sixth place.
12. Atlas- They played their first game under new coach Tomas Boy, and looked better than Monterrey for most part of the game. Will Atlas be able to actually start earning three-points at a time instead of just one?
13. Chivas- This team is slightly improving. Chivas barely scored in the 82nd minute against Puebla and was able to obtain its 7th point in the season. Is this still Mexico’s team?
14. Pachuca- Pachuca has the best offense on paper. And, Pachuca has the second worst offense, just above last place Queretaro. This team lacks character, and this was seen in the tie against Cruz Azul where they played with ten defenders for the last 65 minutes after scoring the first goal.
15. Puebla- Took a valuable point from the Estadio Omnilife, and Puebla is on a two game non-losing streak. They face Monterrey next in what will be the beginning of six consecutive games against six big teams. How long will the streak live?
16. Jaguares- Is Profe Cruz on the way out? Jaguares has the talent to be a better team, especially offensively. However, this team needs new leadership, after all, this season is already all but lost.
17. San Luis- Lacks talent, is confused, has no direction, and keeps getting worse and worse.
18. Queretaro- …just very, very bad. One point in seven games.
Latest News From FutnSoccer
Follow me on Twitter @kevtorres123!